Low Carb Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
This is an old fashioned vanilla ice cream with chocolate chips that my husband loves! This creamy custard base homemade vanilla ice cream recipe tastes creamy and delicious.
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar free sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 cups heavy cream
Chocolate chip Mixture
- 60 g Chocolate 85% or 90%
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil
- Add egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and salt into a small bowl and whisk until a light yellow color and well combined.
- In another medium pan, heat milk and cream over medium-low heat until it just begins to simmer. Turn off the heat.
- Add a little of the hot milk/cream mixture to the egg yolk mixture and whisk till combined. Add this to the rest of the milk/cream mixture and whisk thoroughly. Return to low heat until it reaches 70° C or 165° F, but do not allow it to come to a boil.
- As soon as it reaches the correct temperature, remove it from the heat.
- Pour custard base into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until it chills to 65º F, or overnight.
- The longer the custard base chills, the creamier your ice cream will be.
- Pour the custard into your ice cream maker and process according to your ice cream maker's instructions.
Chocolate Chip Mixture
- Melt the chocolate in a small jug in the microwave on 50% power for 2 minutes, then add 2 tsp coconut oil and return to the microwave for another 30 seconds. Mix together.
- When the ice cream is nearly finished in the ice cream maker, add the chocolate mixture in a slow stream. The ice cream maker will break up the chocolate and mix through the ice cream. Pour into container and freeze.
This recipe makes just over 2 litres. You can reduce the cream and milk by 1/2 cup each to fit into a 2 litre container. Heat for 20 - 30 seconds in a microwave to soften or leave on the bench for 5 - 10 minutes before serving. Yum! Calories: 200kcal Fat: 20g Carbs: 3.1g Fibre: 0.4g Protein: 2.8g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!