How to cook the perfect boiled eggs every time using cold water to start.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt or baking soda
- Sprinkle Salt and pepper
- Make sure your eggs are at room temperature, otherwise they may crack.
- Put your eggs into a pan of cold water that just covers the eggs. Add 1 tsp of salt or baking soda and heat the water until it starts to boil.
- Turn off the heat and set the timer for your desired egg softness.
- 1. Soft Boiled with a runny yolk: 3 - 4 minutes. 2. Medium Boiled for soft but not runny yolk: 5 - 6 minutes.
3. Hard Boiled for firm yolk: 8 - 12 minutes
- Tip off the hot water and cool slightly with cold water. Remove the eggs from the water with a spoon and place in egg cups if wanting to eat immediately. Crack open the tops with a knife and sprinkle with salt, pepper and little butter if desired.
- If wanting to keep boiled eggs for later use, stop the cooking process by covering with cold water and repeat with cold water several times. Keep in the fridge for up to a week for later use, peeled or unpeeled.
If you wish to keep for later use, run cold water over the eggs so that it stops the eggs cooking. This also helps prevent the green colour from forming, which is perfectly harmless. This is due to the iron in the yolk and the sulfur in the whites oxidizing, either by cooking too long or if the temperature is too high. Adding a 1/4 tsp of lemon juice to the water also helps prevent the green colour from forming. Calories: 70 kcal Carbs: 0.5g Fibre: 0g Protein: 6g Fat: 5g
Calories: 70kcalJump to Recipe
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!